Hazing

    For my junior theme, I chose the topic of hazing. Hazing is a form of harassment done with intent to cause emotional or physical harm to a member of a group. Today, common forms of hazing include alcohol consumption, humiliation, isolation, deprivation, and sexual acts. Hazing is used as a way of initiation, but it puts victims at a dangerous risk. According to hazing expert Hank Nuwer, “4.9 deaths per year occurred from university hazing between 2008-2018.” For this reason, I decided to explore the question: Why does hazing occur? From my research, I concluded that hazing continues to occur in the United States due to the comfort of tradition, the lack of hazing awareness about hazing, and the psychological addiction developed by its supporters. 
    In my research, many things astonished me. However, the brutal tactics and horrendous rituals I learned that universities and high schools use completely amplified my views. For example, I discovered an article about a hazing incident which occurred in 2003. The occasion was held by Glenbrook North seniors and was described as an annual hazing rite of initiation for the junior class. It soon got out of hand when seniors began throwing pig intestines, fish guts, blood and feces as well as physically injuring the junior students. This incident struck me and I couldn't help myself from digging further into the depths of youth hazing. My topic is urgent in today’s society because of the amount of lives it has affected in recent years. At least one person has died from college hazing every year since 1969 and without change, the fatality rate will stay consistent and possibly even double. I am passionate about this topic because I personally want to rush for a sorority when I get to college and I have no desire to face harsh hazing. Although not as common as seen in fraternities, sorority hazing does exist. Hazing is an absurd activity that many people are willing to do. It is an extremely evil cycle that must be stopped. Initiation can be a positive experience, but like Chad Ellsworth once said, “the goal is to build people up, not tear them down.”

Comments

Popular Posts